Monday, September 27, 2004

And while we're talking about leadership

This, via The Talking Dog:

About 800 members of the 98th Army Reserve Division from Rochester, New York will begin a year-long mission in Iraq next month.

The unit, which normally trains reserve and active-duty soldiers in the U.S., will find itself training Iraq’s new army.

The 98th is a non-combat unit that doesn't even have its own weapons or vehicles.

"This is a hard war and we, frankly, inside the Army Reserve have been not properly prepared for it,” said Lt. Gen. James Helmly, chief of the U.S. Army Reserve.[my emphasis]


To quote Monty Python:

Whatcha gonna do, bleed on me?


Lessee, you're sending a unit into a combat area to teach folks who are regular targets for suicide bombers, and they're going in unarmed? What the fuck is going on around here? How the fuck . . . I mean are they . . . (Looking around) You know, I think, for the first time in my life, I'm speechless. Hey, why don't you draft me and my partner Gordon back in and give us fucking slingshots? It would be just as effective. I don't know what to say. It's good to see that the 3-star is speaking up, but Jesus H. Christ, how long are the generals and admirals gonna put up with this? It boggles the mind that we haven't begun impeachment hearings.

Update: 17:10:

Go read Skippy too.

Update: 19:30:

And DemVet:

Since they are going to Courts-Martial PFC England, can't we have Preznit Lucky Sperm and Rummy join her in the dock?

No comments: