Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Hmmm . . .

Just put gas in my pickemup truck this morning on the way to the train station with the Mrs. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled up to the pump. Regular gas was $2.03/gallon. Some of you might look at me like I'm nuts, but this is New York and that's the lowest it's been since Memorial Day. Now this morning, on the business report, I heard that oil futures are 48 cents short of $50/bbl.

Wait a second.

At any other time, the price at the pump would follow the futures market. The futures price goes up one day, the price at the pump goes up the next. Except for now. What's the deal? Ya think Bush has his friends at Big Oil keeping the price of gas artificially low until after the election? I sure do. Maybe somebody with a few more connections than I have should look into this? After all, I'm just an idiot mechanic.

No comments: