Sunday, October 31, 2004

Flog It

I have just recently heard the expression used by bloggers to promote posts on their own blogs when posting on other blogs: Blog-whoring. I think that's crass. Accurate, maybe, but crass nonetheless.

I have come up with a term that I think is more G-rated, combining an element of self-promotion while retaining an off-color element to satisfy our base desires. Ready?

Blogflogging.

The term combines the Brit term, flogging, which means 'sell' or 'promote', and an old American meaning derived from the phrase 'flogging your dummy' which needs no explanation to those who have done it. The other half of the population doesn't have the need to know. I think their expression for the same deal is 'tickling the sailor' or something like that. Come to think of it, 'flogging' was a Royal Navy practice, involving whips and chains. Ooh!

I think it has a certain alliterative quality as well.

This could be my big chance for cyber-fame and fortune. I even have a new word for that: Anonyfame.

No comments: