Wednesday, November 3, 2004

Organize

"Activism, not one election, changes the world." So says Sean Gonsalves in The Cape Cod Times via Working For Change. I tend to agree with him.
If I didn't have such deep family roots in this land that I love, I'd seriously consider moving to the Dominican Republic, where the weather is warm and baseball is played all year round.
Having said that, one of the unfortunate aspects of American politics is this fetish we have with presidential elections as if the office of the presidency were some omnipotent seat of power.

The body of the article describes meaningful societal changes over the years, and how whomever the President was didn't have a hell of a lot to do with it. Well worth reading, especially right now.
One of the many narrowly focused political slogans of this election season among young people is "Vote or Die!" The fascist implications of that slogan aside, I say vote and organize or die. If you just vote, the death of democracy isn't far behind

Where the hell is Joe Hill? Joan Baez? Someone or some thing is bound to turn up to help lead us out of this mess. I hope we're not kept waiting very long.

No comments: