Thursday, February 8, 2007

More Shakes and Amanda Part deux

Raw Story

Former Senator John Edwards (D-NC) announced today, at his blog, that two bloggers who have gotten the campaign in "hot water" would not be fired, even though he was "personally offended" by some of the things they have written in the past.

However, the Edwards campaign ended up standing behind the two bloggers, whom had become a cause célèbre in the liberal blogosphere.

"The tone and the sentiment of some of Amanda Marcotte's and Melissa McEwan's posts personally offended me," Edwards writes at his blog. "It's not how I talk to people, and it's not how I expect the people who work for me to talk to people."

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that kind of intolerant language will not be permitted from anyone on my campaign, whether it's intended as satire, humor, or anything else," Edwards blogged.

"But I also believe in giving everyone a fair shake," Edwards continued. "I've talked to Amanda and Melissa; they have both assured me that it was never their intention to malign anyone's faith, and I take them at their word."

Edwards added, "We're beginning a great debate about the future of our country, and we can't let it be hijacked. It will take discipline, focus, and courage to build the America we believe in."

That's an America where you can say what you want on your personal blog. Even if it offends and/or makes wingnuts snivel, moan, bitch, whine, and complain, which doesn't take much.

Bravo, Mr. Edwards. I think he realizes that even if he personally doesn't care for the tone of some of their posts, their audience eats it up. It's just one segment of the electorate - us. Maybe not the most refined or politically correct bunch, thank God, but he needs all the segments he can get.

Links and statements by Sis and Amanda at the link.

Update:

See also EssEffChron.

No comments: