Saturday, March 22, 2008

Battlefield ...

One of my favorite ELP tunes. As poignant today as it was in '71.



Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Battlefield


Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.
You talk of freedom, starving children fall.
Are you deaf when you hear the season's call?

Were you there to watch the earth be scorched?
Did you stand beside the spectral torch?
Know the leaves of sorrow turned their face,
Scattered on the ashes of disgrace.

Every blade is sharp; the arrows fly
Where the victims of your armies' lie,
Where the blades of grass and arrows reign
Then there will be very little sorrow,
Very little pain.

Confusion...will be my epitaph
As I cross a cracked and broken path
If we make it, we can all sit back and laugh


Back to packing ...

Sorry for the shitty recording but it's the only one I can find. When I get back I'll have to upload my own video of the tune.


And just because the video above wasn't the best, here's more from the same album, recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in '92. Just so you get the full effect:



Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Tarkus

No comments: