Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Eye, eye, eye...

Light blogging today. I gotta go to the hospital and have a little remedial work done on the lens that replaced the cataract in my left eye eight years ago. There's a plastic film encasing the replacement lens, and it has degraded to the point where, when I look at a light at night it has about the same effect as a 'star filter' on a camera lens. The doc who did the cataract job told me it would happen sooner or later. Basically, Doc Shakes is gonna point a laser at it and punch a hole in the film.

Ya haveta put up with aftermarket parts since OEM stuff ain't available fer us older models.

It's disconcerting, particularly when driving at night, which I do very seldom, but I gotta get any eye work done pretty soon since Mrs. G is going to retire in a coupla months and her vision insurance is going to retire at the same time.

It's not serious, only takes a few minutes, but I gotta go through the whole pre-op rigamarole, so it will probably keep me away from this thing all morning.

Later.

Update:

Well, that didn't take long. An hour and a half door to door. The actual procedure took about five minutes.

The laser machine was a 'Lumenis' and was foot-operated like a spot welder. Chin and forehead rests of course, but the thing was from Italy and had handlebars so I knew what to do: hang on for dear life just like on a Ducati!

I just have to share this exchange between me and the doc:

Him: "Clamp yer teeth together."

Me: "I don't have any."

Him: "OK then, don't."

(rimshot)

Mrs. G has a lot of sick days to scrub off before she retires - she never gets sick - so she took the whole day off to care for me. Ha! Later on, we're going over to the Truckee P.D. for their Peace Officer Memorial and Open House which includes a free barbecue. Note: the 9 officers they're memorializing are from all over California, not just from our little town!

It will be a real treat to eat some po-leece food for once without gettin' it handed to me through the bars...

By the way, the cop shop is in the same building where Mrs. G works, so I have to wear my Blind Man Willie Hollywoods and fumble around a lot in case her boss sees us!

No comments: