Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thoughts on election day

Right now whilst awaiting the results, I feel like I've just died and am in limbo waiting to see if the elevator goes up or down. I wonder if I can pay Charon for the boat ride with these cucumber slices on my eyes...

Being pissed off at Obama for not fixing the damage caused by Bush as the final insult of thirty years of Repug greed in two years is like finding a rare old English motorcycle under a rotten 40-year-old pile of hay bales in a barn and being pissed off because you can't ride it the same day. Illogical, to say the least.

Repugs may take control of the House after today. I'm sure that if when they screw everything up even worse over the next two years, our rocket scientist voters will elect even more of them to fix it even worse. Yeesh. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results...

Also, if you haven't read "Matt Taibbi on the Tea Party", do so.

Update:

Me 'n Mrs. G voted at 11AM, nos. 109 & 110. We had to stand in line, which is unheard of around here, and people just kept coming.

Our old cardboard-and-trash-bag voting booths have gone the way of the buffalo, replaced with circular booths with red, white, and blue steel poles with blue and red curtains in which maybe four people can vote at one time. The booths are from Ireland. I guess American voting booth jobs have been outsourced.

I used the electronic machine. It's got a wheel that scrolls you from place to place, an 'enter' button, and a printout that appears to let you double check your selections before you cast your ballot. I didn't have my reading glasses with me, so the poll worker assigned nearest the machine, a gorgeous young thing about my own age, loaned me her own bifocals right off her face so I could read it.

As she handed me my "I voted" sticker, I mentioned the turnout thus, "Boy, ya put weed on the ballot, Truckee turns out, huh?". She just smiled and nodded and said "Yeah, they sure do!". Heh.

As an informal poll, I checked bumper stickers in the parking lot. The cars that had them all had Librul-type stickers. I guess Repugs don't like to advertise. There was one contractor truck with Nevada plates with a "Sandoval for governor" sticker. That's his problem. Musta been there on business as our polling place is at the Public Utility District building.

Anyway, I voted straight D and legal weed and yes or no on a buncha other propositions and a few local offices that I gave a shit about. Mrs. G was waiting outside for me after I waited inside for her for a little while.

It's all over but the counting. Seeing as how the 2012 election countdown doesn't start 'til tomorrow, I'm taking the rest of the day off from politics. Unless something interesting pops up, of course...

No comments: