Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Glutton for punishment ...

I'm beginning to think I'm a closet masochist (probably a determining factor in being a progressive blogger for almost 8 years) because in addition to everything else I'm in the middle of, I decided it's a good time to build a deck in the backyard. I'll elaborate later on but since I'm effectively out of the dad-in-law house sale (aside from lifting heavy shit), I figured I'd take the week the Mrs. is in Charlotte, NC (next week) on business and do the deck project I've been meaning to do for the last couple years. I'm using this system and I ordered up 120 of them this morning from Lowe's. After I take the dogs for shots tomorrow morning, I'm going to Home Depot and put in my lumber order. I should order some extra and build a box so when I drop dead out there, the Mrs. can make the dogs dig a hole and they can drag my carcass in it. Heh ...

5 comments:

Gordon said...

Cool! What kind of lumber are you going to use? Looks like a good system if the deck is just above the ground. My front deck is five feet off the ground but I could put one in the back yard with that..

Fixer said...

Pressure treated 2" x 6". At the highest point mine should be about a foot off the ground. It's what was appealing about this system. I was dreading getting out the post hole digger. ;)

Gordon said...

Did you get redwood? That stuff runs from "good on one side" up to "clear heart merch".

Fixer said...

I'm too cheap for redwood. ;)

Gordon said...

Heh. That stuff's way spendy all right. I use it for repairs because that's what my deck is made out of.