Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Revolt of the Puppets

Billmon

The Cheney administration's Arab "allies" appear to have had enough of Condi's natural childbirth method. They're screaming for an epidural:

Those who thought it might turn out otherwise (I'm looking in your direction Booman) probably should have remembered the old Arab proverb: My brother and me against my cousins, my cousins and me against my village, my village and me against my tribe, my tribe and me against the world.

That's not an Arab or a Muslim thing, really -- just basic human psychology. And it appears that in the concentric circles of Middle East loyalties, Sunni versus Shi'a is still trumped by Arab versus Jew, believer versus infidel and (it would appear) tough Islamic fighters versus corrupt pro-U.S. elites.

The "new" Middle East, in other words, still looks a lot like the old one.

Update 12:30 PM ET: The Angry Arab notes, correctly, that one of the sickest/funniest aspects of this whole farce has been watching the neocons and the pro-Israel bloggers fellate the House of Saud -- that feudal hotbed of Islamofascism that miraculously transformed itself into the best Sunni friend Israel never had. Presumably it will now be allowed to revert to its good old Islamofascist self again.

Sounds like Mr. Billmon is a cum laude graduate of the Rude Pundit College of Journalism, huh?

I'm not particularly pro-Israel, but I still hope they kick Hezbollah's ass up around its ears before their leash gets yanked.

No comments: