Saturday, January 20, 2007

Why I don't watch ...

American Idol:

...

Is this what Americans want to watch? Has American popular culture regressed so much that the nation gets its jollies re-enacting an adolescent nightmare of social rejection in the high school cafeteria?

...


Now, I don't understand how some of the no-talent folks have gone through their entire lives thinking they're the next Elvis. I knew, when I was 9 years old, that I would never make my living singing, much as I enjoy it. You should hear me when I'm alone in the car. My mom would tell me "I'll give you $1 to stop singing". The dog howls when I sing around the house. I'm under no illusions I'll ever be Roger Daltrey.

That said, I wonder what is wrong with my fellow Americans when they get off seeing people ridiculed publicly. A lot of you must enjoy it because they get big ratings. What is it, your little chance to get back at the people who did it to you in school? A little self-gratification? Do you feel bigger seeing someone else go through it too? Personally, I think it's disgusting.

No comments: