Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Banana Republicanism

I won't link to the wingnut blathering that prompted this, but if you really want to see it you can find it at Kevin Drum's piece:

Quote of the day, from Thomas Sowell:

When I see the worsening degeneracy in our politicians, our media, our educators, and our intelligentsia, I can't help wondering if the day may yet come when the only thing that can save this country is a military coup.


Now that's a comforting, conservative thought, isn't it? I wonder what Buckley thinks of NRO publishing stuff like this?

(And in case you're wondering, there's no further context. That's the whole quote. It's one bullet point in a long series of dyspeptic observations about how liberals have ruined the country.)

I guess it's all in how you look at it: I think a military coup would be a last resort to save the country from them. They think it would be a last resort to save it from us. We're right and they're wrong, of course.

Here's a few 'comments':

Scratch a conservative, wound a fascist.
...
2 important points:

1) Hitler did not burn the Reichstag but used it as an excuse for reactionary overreach. Bush did not bomb on 9/11, but used it as an excuse for reactionary and fascist overreach. 9/11 WAS Bush's Reichstag fire.

2) Hitler obtained power by the most desperately small margin. Soon thereafter, he had outlawed all other parties, and was on his way to dictatorship. Bush obtained power by the most desperately small margin in the 20th century. Soon thereafter, he and Rove TRIED to set up a permanent Repukeliscum majority, but have been foiled I think.

The Bush-Hitler analogies are much closer than I had remembered.

"I'm tired off those comparisons between Hitler and George W. Bush! Hitler was a highly decorated combat veteran who won office by majority vote!" - Jon Stewart

Haven't conservatives always hated democracy?

People sometimes vote to change things in a democracy.

Should I stock up on candy and flowers to greet my liberators with?

Shorter Thomas Sowell: "Kids these days, with their crazy clothes and loud music! And get off my lawn!"

As George Carlin said: "they identify with your anger then tell you who to blame for it".

Actually, I didn't even know the author of the remark was black until you told me. Batshit is colorblind, pal, and Sowell is batshit.

Ever so many more! Go see.

No comments: