Friday, March 13, 2009

A conservative's snivel

Here's David Frum, whom I detest but love to see in trouble, in Newsweek esplainin' why lesser wingnuts than Rushole should be in charge of the Repugs. This is how he starts off his big whine:

[...] I'm a conservative Republican, have been all my adult life. I volunteered for the Reagan campaign in 1980. I've attended every Republican convention since 1988. I was president of the Federalist Society chapter at my law school, worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal and wrote speeches for President Bush—not the "Read My Lips" Bush, the "Axis of Evil" Bush. I served on the Giuliani campaign in 2008 and voted for John McCain in November. I supported the Iraq War and (although I feel kind of silly about it in retrospect) the impeachment of Bill Clinton. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Oh, we got the idea, all right. You've just explained that you've gotten everything wrong you've ever done in your life, and you want us to believe the crap in the next three pages and give you another run at wreckin' the joint? Fat fuckin' chance.

Then there's like three or four pages of failed conservative ideas kinda warmed over, and a fantasy about making them appeal to the other-than-white voters. Don't waste your time. I read it so you don't have to. Here's the last coupla paragraphs:

In the days since I stumbled into this controversy, I've received a great deal of e-mail. (Most of it on days when Levin or Hannity or Hugh Hewitt or Limbaugh himself has had something especially disobliging to say about me.) Most of these e-mails say some version of the same thing: if you don't agree with Rush, quit calling yourself a conservative and get out of the Republican Party. There's the perfect culmination of the outlook Rush Limbaugh has taught his fans and followers: we want to transform the party of Lincoln, Eisenhower and Reagan into a party of unanimous dittoheads—and we don't care how much the party has to shrink to do it. That's not the language of politics. It's the language of a cult.

That's truly excellent! The money and power end of the party calling the base that they've pandered to for votes for years a CULT because they've got all the attention right now! The gypsies have taken over the palace and the royalty is astonished at the damage they're doing!

Hey, Repug royalty: Well, whadja expect? You let 'em in and they're all yours and you deserve 'em. Fuckin' live with it. The rest of us are enjoyin' the shit out of it!

I'm a pretty conservative guy. On most issues, I doubt Limbaugh and I even disagree very much. But the issues on which we do disagree are maybe the most important to the future of the conservative movement and the Republican Party: Should conservatives be trying to provoke or persuade? To narrow our coalition or enlarge it? To enflame or govern? And finally (and above all): to profit—or to serve?

That's an easy one! Profit, of course. That's been Repug policy for many years and what's gotten this country in the shape it's in now.

Here's my advice to the so-called 'moderate' Repugs, though the term is an oxymoron: Abandon the Repuglican party to the wingnut moron dittoheads and start an entirely new one with a different name. That oughta take twenty or thirty years to get where you can get a dogcatcher elected somewhere, and the rest of us will be safe as long as the money people and the wingtards are separated.

The noise will still be irritating, but we can live with it.

No comments: