Wednesday, December 1, 2004

Light to no blogging

Big windstorm here today and a power line came down. The Mrs. was home when the power surge shot through the house. Scared the shit out of her and the mutt. The tally so far:

2 TVs
2 IBM desktop computers
1 oven
1 microwave
4 Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters

Fortunately our laptops didn't buy it, but now I gotta fight with my insurance company so my afternoon is probably shot.

On a funny note, I was coiling up the wire that fell in front of the house. I checked first to make sure both ends were disconnected. As I'm doing this, the Long Island Power Authority guy pulls up. You should have seen the look on his face when he sees me with this power line in my hand.

"Hey, buddy, you can get 7600 volts of backflow in that line. Drop it!"
"Not when both ends are disconnected," I said. "Is this yours?" I ask him, laughing my ass off.

Oh, also the heater on my waterbed bought it, so the Mrs. and I are gonna have to live out the guest room until I can replace it. That means draining most of the bed (it's under the mattress). Just fucking wonderful.

Update: 15:25:

Add a VCR to the list. I feel sorry for the folks at Liberty Mutual (my homeowners carrier). Did I mention the Mrs. is an insurance executive?

Update: 16:10:

Fax machine's done too. Fuck me.

No comments: