Saturday, September 2, 2006

Saturday toons

I've always loved political cartoons since I was young and one of my first stops on Saturday mornings is Bob Geiger's place to see the cartoons he's collected over the week. While I always get a smile from the creative marriage of thought and pen, they don't make me laugh out loud the way they did when I was younger, before the Chimp Misadministration.

I thought about that this morning as I scrolled down Bob's page and wondered why. I realized it's because the bar has been moved, thanks to Bush, Cheney, Rummy, et. al. Political cartoons used to be gross exaggerations, whether it be the caricature of the subjects (David Levine, a family friend, comes to mind), or the exaggeration of the dialogue in them.

Since the reign of George II began, no exaggeration is too great. Anything a political cartoonist can dream up is certainly within the realm of reality and probability these days. A sad, sobering, and scary thought.

No comments: