Friday, December 30, 2005

Hoax

From Molly Ivins

Apology: I bit on a bad story in my Dec. 20 column. The tale of the UMass-Dartmouth student who was visited by the feds for checking out Mao's "Little Red Book" has turned out to be a hoax. So sorry.

Thank you, Molly. This is the first retraction, let alone apology, that I've seen on this.

It was an awfully easy hoax to believe, as is anything involving intrusion or calculated erosion of civil liberties by this administration.

To its perpetrators I say: shame on you, both for lying and for being lazy. There's enough real government assaults on our freedom that you don't have to make them up.

We should be used to hoaxes. We have had many, many of them pulled on us by this administration. If any of them admit it, let alone apologize, on their deathbeds, I'd be very surprised, but I'm certainly willing to let a whole bunch of 'em die to test my theory.

No comments: