Friday, May 18, 2007

Lone Pine

We spent last night at the Best Western Frontier in Lone Pine (That is the most all-purpose link I've ever seen!). Very nice motel. My dogs loved it. Well, they liked the cow pasture full of cows across the street!

Also across the street are the Alabama Hills and Mt. Whitney. I went and stood in the footprints of probably thousands of travelers at the edge of the parking lot and got a picture of the whole panorama, but I didn't bring the get-it-out-of-the-camera cable, so I'll post it when I get home.

The Alabama Hills are famous as a movie location. You've seen them, trust me, in everything from westerns to "Gunga Din" to episodes of "Star Trek: Whichever". The motel has movie cowboy pictures everywhere. Like over the beds, fer chrissake!

We're easin' our way toward L.A. and will be in Santa Monica this afternoon. I wish my high school had the sense to have their reunion in Lone Pine!

No comments: