Tuesday, January 5, 2010

You can't make this stuff up...

As a metaphor for the stupid and infuriating methods undertrained airport screeners use, I am fond of the little old lady in a walker having her henna rinse confiscated and being made to strip to make sure she's not wearing explosive underwear. It really happens. Read on.

NYDailyNews

Joan Rivers bumped off flight in Costa Rica when Continental gate agent finds passport suspicious

Can we talk?

Rivers, 76, was deemed a danger to national security and booted from a Newark-bound flight in Costa Rica on Sunday by a jittery Continental Airlines gate agent who found the two names on her passport fishy.

I wonder if the slight humming sound caused by Ms. Rivers' skin being so tight from all her cosmetic surgeries raised suspicion as well?

Rivers' tale of woe put a famous face on travel's new reality - one that leaves many feeling like common criminals.

"If I were going to make up an alias, I wouldn't pick Rosenberg. I'd pick Jolie or Pitt," said Rivers, back home Monday in New York with her sense of humor intact. "Do terrorists wear Manolo Blahniks? I can tell you Donna Karan does not make anything that hides a bomb," she said.

"I tried the tears; they didn't work. I tried reasoning. I couldn't bribe because I didn't have any money," she said. "I said 'I'm going to have a heart attack over this,' so the woman called the paramedics."

She said a porter, Eldon Ramos, took pity and found a friend to drive her 6-1/2 hours to the main airport in Costa Rica's capital of San Jose for a flight leaving Monday morning.

I'm glad she got home OK, but...oy.

I've posted about Joan Rivers before.

No comments: