Thursday, October 28, 2004

Molly Antes Up For Kerry

Molly Ivins is putting her money on Big John:

AUSTIN, Texas -- I finally put my money down on Tuesday, a whole week out. Kerry over Bush by two to three points in every state that matters except Florida. For those who find this an appalling, Bill Bennett-like display of disrespect for both good money and Our Nation's Future, I say, hey, no guts, no glory. Besides, Ladbrokes, the English betting firm, is offering 6 to 5 on Kerry.

Without fear of contradiction, I can say that George W. Bush has turned out to be a divider, not a uniter, for the past four years. Sheesh, if we get any madder at each other there will be fisticuffs, brethren, I say fisticuffs.

Fisticuffs? She says that almost like it's a bad thing.
Liberals, normally gentle as little kittens -- usually you can go right up to 'em and touch their soft, curly fur, they don't mind a bit -- are in an alarming state of righteous anger. This time, they devoutly believe, jackbooted fascism is just around the corner. Not only do they think the Bill of Rights is being quietly dismantled, they are sentient enough to notice that our reputation around the world has gone from the instant support of Sept. 11 to disgust and fear.

You don't have to be all that sentient to see that. I think "alarming state of righteous anger" is a ladylike understatement. The way I would put that is "so pissed off I can't see straight", but I'm no lady. Nor am I syndicated. I don't have to watch my language. Fixer said so.

I'm bettin' with Molly.

No comments: