Thursday, March 15, 2007

They write letters ...

From an Army Colonel to General Petraeus just before he put a bullet in his temple:

...

"Thanks for telling me it was a good day until I briefed you. [Redacted name] - You are only interested in your career and provide no support to your staff - no msn [mission] support and you don’t care. I cannot support a msn that leads to corruption, human right abuses and liars. I am sullied - no more. I didn’t volunteer to support corrupt, money grubbing contractors, nor work for commanders only interested in themselves. I came to serve honorably and feel dishonored. I trust no Iraqi. I cannot live this way. All my love to my family, my wife and my precious children. I love you and trust you only. Death before being dishonored any more.

"Trust is essential - I don’t know who trust anymore. Why serve when you cannot accomplish the mission, when you no longer believe in the cause, when your every effort and breath to succeed meets with lies, lack of support, and selfishness? No more. Reevaluate yourselves, cdrs [commanders]. You are not what you think you are and I know it." [my em]

...


Iraq is a dishonorable, illegal attack and occupation of a sovereign nation that posed no threat to us. It drove a good, honorable man to take his own life because he could not square what he was taught about duty and honor with the fabrications of the Bush administration and their henchmen.

And you see why I have zero sympathy for mercenaries? You might think I'm naive when I talk about honor but in a war, after doing things you would never consider any other time, honor is the only thing some of these guys have left. They have to know that what they did was in defense of their nation, for the honor of their nation. If they believe they are nothing mote than pirates and hired muscle, that is the force you will end up with.

Great, great thanks to Jersey Cynic and Rook.

No comments: