Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter and the Cauldron of Thumpers

Neiwert

I've been settling into my couch and reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows and rather enjoying it. I'm something of a Potter admirer; the only bumper sticker on my car reads "Republicans for Voldemort". Of course, I don't come close to Mrs. Orcinus, who finished the book within the first day and who reread all six in the series just before the release of No. 7.

In any event, my enjoyment of the books is enhanced by the knowledge that it also drives the fundamentalist right nuts. Ever since the books gained great popularity, they've been on the warpath against Harry Potter, as you can see from the excerpt from Jesus Camp above, in which we see the head of the camp telling children that Potter should be put to death. (Talk about Republicans for Voldemort!)

I, too, have read all the Harry Potter books and seen all the movies, except for the current ones. I'm patient and see no need to be part of the "Ooh! Ooh! Must have NOW!" deal. I like 'em.

Whether you like Potter or not, go see Dave's piece. You'll like that.

No comments: