Thursday, January 19, 2006

Apropos

I hadn't played Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar for a while but I stuck the disk in on the way to work yesterday. Wish You Were Here struck me as very apropos for the times, though it was written in '73.

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have you found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

No comments: