Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hackett calls 'em like he sees 'em

Soon-to-be Senator Paul Hackett in an editorial in the Columbus Dispatch:

"The Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious fanatics that, in my opinion, aren't a whole lot different than Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world," he said. "The challenge is for the rest of us moderate Americans and citizens of the world to put down the fork and spoon, turn off the TV, and participate in the process and try to push back on these radical nuts - and they are nuts."

Much more. Go read. My favorite quote, with which I wholeheartedly agree:

Hackett said he opposes capital punishment - too much risk of executing an innocent person - for everybody except the fool who violates his family and home.

"Break into my house, we won't have to worry about the application of the death penalty. It's going to be a simple 911 call: Come pick up the body."

With succinct coherence, Hackett said: "I'm pro-choice, I'm pro-gayrights, I'm pro-gun-rights. Call me nuts, but I think they're all based on the same principle and that is we don't need government dictating to us how we live our private lives."

Amen, brother.

No comments: