Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Purple Hearts

When I read this story, I sat there with my mouth agape.

COPPERAS COVE – History will be made today when Copperas Cove resident Bill Thomas and his wife, Georgia, present President George W. Bush with a Purple Heart at the Oval Office.

...


This guy left a piece of himself fighting in some foreign land and he equates the piece of ass the Chimp is getting chewed off with that sacrifice? Hey, it's his medal.

...

Thomas said the Purple Heart he is presenting the president has special meaning to him because the injury he suffered to earn it occurred just after a friend, Richard Peterson, lost his life attempting to save him.

...


I wonder how Mr. Peterson, who did not come home from Vietnam, would feel about that? I wonder how Mr. Peterson would feel about a man getting that medal who used his daddy's connections to avoid combat? A man who finally just walked away from his commitment? A man who squandered the investment the American people made in him because it just didn't suit him anymore? I wonder how Mr. Peterson would feel about the lives this man has squandered in another war much like Vietnam?

Like I said, it's Mr. Thomas' medal, but I believe he is delusional if he equates his sacrifice, and the sacrifice of Mr. Peterson, who gave his life to save Thomas', to a man who's never sacrificed anything but the lives of other peoples' children.

Great thanks to POP for the link.

No comments: