Friday, September 29, 2006

Lordy, lordy, gimme $40.

File this one under "I guess it had to happen sometime". From Eyeteeth:

Pastor Marty Baker of Stevens Creek Community Church, an 1100-member evangelical church in Augusta, Georgia, has discovered a way to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God is God's"--while keeping a bit for himself: he's installed an ATM-style "Giving Kiosk," in the church--one sold by his for-profit venture.

"It's truly like an ATM for Jesus," Baker said.

When I was church-goin' kid, my aunt would give me a little envelope to put my donation in. It was for anonymity: some people gave a lot, some gave a little. I found the value of this system later in life: a dime makes a distinctive 'clink' in the collection plate and everybody turns and looks at you!

No comments: