Salt Lake, Calif.: A discussion here about college nicknames brought this from Raul Blacksten: "I attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, in the early '70s, and there were so many students from California that it was not uncommon to hear it referred to as the 'University of California at Provo.' I think there were even bumper stickers to that effect."
Cal State Whatevers: While we're on the subject, here are some other college nicknames I've collected from readers:
• University of Severe Tire Damage (Cal State Northridge, in honor of the school's many parking lots, which have many more exits than entrances).
• University of California Near Fedco (San Bernardino Valley College).
• University of Lincoln and Manchester or LMU (Loyola Marymount University).
• Under Construction Indefinitely or UCI (UC Irvine).
• University on Colorado between Lake and Allen, or UCLA (Pasadena City College).
I wonder when he'll get around to Cal State San Quentin. Oh, well. Who needs Yale, anyway?