Monday, September 20, 2004

As much as we'd like to, we had better never forget Vietnam

A little while ago, we watched today's "Face The Nation" on CBS. At the end, the moderator, Bob Schieffer, whom I like and respect,said that "Vietnam has become the centerpiece of this presidential campaign. That war ended thirty years ago, before a good many of today's voters were even born. A great many Americans would like to forget about Vietnam."

Yeah, I'd like to forget the time I caught my dick in the woodchipper, too, but I better not.

Ron Kovic, paraplegic Marine Vietnam veteran and author of "Born On The Fourth Of July", in the movie of which he was played by Tom Cruise, has something to say about lessons learned or not learned, in Steve Lopez' LATimes column on Sunday.

I'm not a Vietnam vet, but I am a Vietnam-era vet, and I well remember those times. They were fucking awful. It's happening again, goddammit, and I don't like it a fuckin' bit. "Those who do not learn the lessons of history" someone said, "are doomed to repeat it" and that's exactly what is going on with this administration. They didn't have to go, "other priorities" and all, so they have no concept of Vietnam vis-a-vis the fact they're pulling the same shit.

Let's get rid of this bunch of liars on Nov. 2 and get a man in the White House, actually elect the sonovabitch, who knows not to take war lightly.

No comments: